Ghee is an integral part of the ancient science of Ayurveda, considered a sacred, medicinal, cleansing, and nourishing food and hence an offering fit for the gods. No ritual indian offering is complete without the addition of Ghee. In Ayurveda, ghee—especially when made from the milk of locally breeds of cows which are grass-fed( organic feed) and unsalted butter from such curd/milk —is the purest essence of the earth element and a quote from the ancient sciences says ‘For as long as you live , live happily and even if you have to take a loan , ensure that you consume Ghee ‘.
Consumption of ghee offers a wide range of benefits, including clarity of mind and sound digestion. In more scientific terms, ghee helps sustain healthy microbes in the gastrointestinal tract to promote effective digestion and elimination. It nourishes all the tissues of the body, including the nervous system, translating into calm energy throughout the day.
Ways to Use Ghee
Ghee is excellent for cooking and sautéing. Ghee has a very high level of butyrate acid, a short-chain fatty acid, a high smoke point and thus doesn’t create carcinogenic free-radicals when brought to a high heat. This makes it one of the safest oils to cook with .
Benefits of Ghee in nutshell
- Digestion (helps absorb and assimilate nutrients)
- Improves memory
- Helps increase flexibility by lubricating the connective tissues
- Carries the medicinal properties of herbs into tissues
- Heals the intestinal wall
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer.
- Promotes the elimination of toxins stored in the body
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- Stimulates the liver to produce fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K
- The SCFA in ghee is now recognized as Prebiotic which makes the environment conducive for the gut friendly bacteria to prosper, which also makes it a great anti –allergen .
- It is lipolytic in nature which means it helps break down fat ,and not only it burns preferentially as fuel inside the body but actually helps mobilise fats from the stubborn areas.
Along with all its other benefits, it has a cooling property that soothes and heals.
How much Ghee to consume everyday
Traditionally we add ghee to each meal . The quantity at which the taste of the food is best is the right quantity . Certain preparations like gujiya , mathri , puran poli need more than regular Dal –chawal –kadhi . 2 tsp -5 tsp a day is a good start .